Friday, December 18, 2015

Winter Slow Cooker Balsamic Beef

I bought some reduced-price stewing steak in the supermarket and thought it would work well in the slow cooker. I was going to chop the beef into cubes but it looked like a good quality piece of meat (or two pieces in fact) that I didn't think I needed to. I had been looking at a Slimming World recipe for beef in red onion gravy but as my other half doesn't like red onions I decided to change it and ended up pretty much making up my own recipe!
 
 
Slow Cooker Balsamic Beef - an original recipe by Caroline Makes
 
 
Serves 2
1 large shallot, sliced into two or three
400-500g braising steak
1 beef stock cube made up to 3/4 pint with hot water
1/4 tsp garlic puree or 1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
 
Mix the stock, garlic, tomato puree and vinegar and pour into your slow cooker. Place the onion pieces in the bottom and place the meat on top. Add more water if necessary so the beef is just covered.
 
 
 
 
Place the lid on your slow cooker and cook on high for about 2 hours or medium for 4 hours (mine has an auto setting that cooks on medium for 4 hours then keeps warm until I get home from work which is very handy).
 
 
Serve with veg and boiled or mashed potatoes.
 
 
 
This is a great second day dish as well if you cook enough for two but there is only one person eating it, as there was in my case.
 
For that reason I'm sending this to Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Corinna at Searching for Spice.
 
Cook Once Eat Twice

0 comments:

Post a Comment