Saturday, September 12, 2015

Restaurant Review: Desperado's, Islington

 
Having just been to Mexico I seem to be noticing Mexican restaurants around London a lot more. A little while ago I was spending the day working out of a supplier’s office in Angel with a colleague and we wanted to go somewhere for lunch that was a bit different. We were spoiled for choice of restaurants on Upper Street and while there are plenty that I think would have been better I spotted the bold sign for Desperados and suggested we eat there.
 
They had a two-course set lunchtime menu (as well as a la carte) which was good value though the portions weren’t particularly large; I guess it was fine for lunch but I was expecting a bigger meal. They advertise themselves as offering authentic Mexican street food and I’m not sure whether that applies to the loaded potato skin filled with melted cheese that I had as my starter – I didn’t see any of those on menus while I was in Mexico. The main course was an enchilada, with a portion of rice, refried beans and salad. It was a bit dry – it would have been nice to have something to go on the rice, and as I don’t like refried beans they stayed in their separate bowl!
 
 
The restaurant is very colourful with décor in keeping with the Mexican theme (though I’m not sure what the VW camper van was doing there); I imagine this place would be pretty busy in the evenings as Mexican restaurants are usually pretty good for tequila and cocktails!



0 comments:

Post a Comment