Sunday, November 6, 2016

Restaurant Review: Pitcher & Piano, Monument, London

For a pub chain, Pitcher & Piano has a really unusual menu. I don't think I've ever seen a quinoa and cauliflower burger on a menu - and I was quite keen to try it but didn't really want a burger and chips even if it was meat-free - and the rest of the menu is a combination of classics and a nod to current trends. Everyone seems to be obsessed with avocado at the moment, and at Pitcher & Piano you can enjoy a mozzarella and avocado brioche or a bacon and avocado salad, or a chicken and kale salad, and sweet potato fries as a side. Or if you want a classic pub meal there's steak, sausage and mash, fish and chips and the like.

I was there for lunch with work colleagues and there was something to keep everyone happy - even one person who avoids carbs completely and had a selection of dishes from the starter section instead of a main. We were in a hurry to order so without much time to think I plumped for the fish finger brioche - something I haven't had in ages.


It was quite nice but ended up feeling more like a fish burger and chips - I'm used to fish finger sandwiches being made with doorstep bread and not coming with chips. In another twist on the norm, my pot of tea came with an espresso cup - I assume that was deliberate and not a mistake, but it was a bit odd to keep having to pour myself tiny cups of tea. It did come with an iced ring biscuit on the side though!

This is a City centre bar that I can imagine is quite busy in the evenings but we had no problem fitting in a big group at lunch. The food was good even if it wasn't quite what I was expecting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment