Saturday, July 18, 2015

Huevos Rancheros - Mexican breakast eggs



Translating as "rancher's eggs" this is a popular Mexican breakfast dish, though not one that I actually managed to eat while we were in Mexico! Because of that I decided to make it as a light lunch/brunch after we came back. I found this Food Network Jamie Oliver recipe but adapted it to make it quicker - rather than make my own tomato sauce I used passata from a box. I'm also not a fan of fried eggs so I decided to make this with poached eggs instead and it was really nice. I also forgot the cheese on top!

Here's how to make my speedy version. To serve 2:
1/4 onion, diced
100g diced chorizo
oil for frying
2 flour tortillas
2 eggs
8 tbsp. passata
fresh coriander to serve

Fry the onion and chorizo in a large frying pan until cooked through then add the passata and heat. Meanwhile poach the eggs.


In another frying pan, heat a little oil and fry the tortillas for a minute each on each side. Place an egg on each tortilla on a plate and top with the chorizo and passata mixture. Top with a little chopped coriander.
 

I'm sending this to Simply Eggcellent, hosted by Dom at Belleau Kitchen; this month he's asking 'how do you like your eggs in the morning?'

0 comments:

Post a Comment